The Garden Route
Shew! There's so much to do in the Garden Route!
Scroll down for info about
- Mossel Bay
- Plettenberg Bay
- The Crags & Nature's Valley
- Golf in the Garden Route
Visit the Garden Route's harbour town for its history, stay for its art and its huge range of attractions! About 110 km west of Knysna.
- Point of Human Origins: tours of the caves at Pinnacle Point that have revealed the earliest evidence for modern human behaviour. www.humanorigin.co.za
- The Dias Museum Complex: houses a replica of the ship (caravel) on which Bartolomeu Dias became the first European navigator to sail around the Cape of Good Hope; also a local history collection, and shell museum. www.diasmuseum.co.za
- Mossel Bay Art Route: find information about Mossel Bay’s artists, galleries, events, and archaeology at www.mosselbayart.co.za
The regional capital of the Garden Route. Picturesque against the high Outeniqua Mountains, and still somewhat rural - but also urban and vibey. About 60 km west of Knysna.
- Beaches: Wilderness Beach and Victoria Bay are two of the Garden Route's most famous seaside attractions - and they're very rarely crowded. 40- or 50-minutes drive from Hotel Claude, so definitely an option for a day by the sea.
- The Garden Route Botanical Garden (next to the Outeniqua Nature Reserve) focuses on plants native to the Southern Cape region. It's a great birding destination, and it provides access to many of the local forest MTB trails. www.botanicalgarden.org.za
- Shopping: Visit the Garden Route Mall - www.gardenroutemall.co.za (it's got 7 cinemas, in case you were wondering what to do with the kids!) - and the Eden Meander Lifestyle Centre: Facebook: edenmeander
- Outeniqua Family Market: Open every Saturday from 8:00 to 2:00. More than 150 food and craft stalls, farm-fresh fruit and veggies, international cuisine, live entertainment, kids activities. www.outeniquafarmersmarket.co.za
Plettenberg Bay – affectionately ‘Plett’ - is a beach holiday town with a growing reputation for its wines. About half-an-hour from Hotel Claude, and 30 km east of Knysna
- The Plett Wine Route: - with no less than 16 estates. Some of which make really good bubbly. www.plettwinelands.com
- Cycling & MTB: Cairnbrogie Mountain Bike Trail Park. www.cairnbrogie.co.za
- Adventureland: this awesome water-park is a must for any kid of any age on any warm and sunny day. And it's just 20 minutes drive from Hotel Claude - so no 'are-we-there-yets.' www.adventurelandplett.co.za
The Crags & Nature's Valley
Forested wilderness area about 50 km east of Knysna.
- The Barnyard Theatre: country-style theatre and functions venue. Info about shows, music, and performances at www.barnyardplett.co.za
- Monkeyland: multi-species primate sanctuary. Guided tours; easy walking. www.monkeyland.co.za
- Birds of Eden: stroll through the world's biggest free-flight bird sanctuary. www.birdsofeden.co.za
- Nature’s Valley: Astonishingly beautiful area of forest and fynbos with beautiful ocean views. Worth the drive (about 45 minutes from Hotel Claude) for a laze on the beach, or for a great day’s walking and birding. Part of the Garden Route National Park.
Bloukrans & Tsitsikamma
Forestry and adventure go hand-in hand in the Bloukrans (72 km from Hotel Claude) and the Tsitsikamma (about 100 km).
- Bloukrans Bungy: at more than 200 metres, this is the world's highest commercial bungi bridge. Operated by Face Adrenalin, which also offers bridge walking tours. (And when you're done with all of that, you'll need the tranqulity of your cozy room at Hotel Claude!) www.faceadrenalin.com
- Storms River Mouth in the Garden Route National Park: Enjoy a number of short (2 to 6 km) walking trails, and snorkel in Africa's oldest Marine Protected Area. www.tsitsikamma.info
- Tsitsikamma Canopy Tours: zipline adventures in the company of knowledgeable forest guides. www.stormsriver.com
- Tsitsikamma Woodcutters Journey: guided tours in open vehicles through indigenous yellowwood and stinkwood forests along the old Storms River Pass. www.stormsriver.com
Golf in the Garden Route
Our favourite courses
- Pinnacle Point Championship Golf Course, Mossel Bay (pictured): 18-hole, par-72, fynbos course with dramatic views of the Indian Ocean. Four holes play from cliff-top to cliff-top - right over the water. 90 minutes drive from Hotel Claude. www.pinnaclepointestate.co.za
- Mossel Bay Golf Club: 18-hole, par 72, links-style course where you can see the sea from every tee. "We aspire to be the friendliest club in South Africa." 90 minutes drive from Hotel Claude. www.mosselbaygolfclub.co.za
- George Golf Club: 18-hole, par-72 landscape course; one of the oldest and most picturesque golf clubs in South Africa. 1 hour drive from Hotel Claude. www.georgegolfclub.co.za
- Goose Valley Golf Course, Plettenberg Bay: 18-hole, par-72 course designed by Gary Player. Features natural fynbos, indigenous trees. 30 minutes drive from Hotel Claude. www.goosevalleygolfclub.com
- Plettenberg Bay Country Club: 18-hole, par-72 parklands course set in a private nature reserve with an incredible variety of bird-life. Also offers tennis and bowls (two bowling greens). 30 minutes drive from Hotel Claude. www.plettgolf.co.za