The Klein Karoo
The Klein Karoo - the semi-arid wonderland just north of the Outeniqua Mountains (the range just north of Knysna) – is a great destination for a day outing from Hotel Claude.
Drive there via the spectacular and exciting Outeniqua Pass or the Montagu Pass (between George and Oudtshoorn), or on the Prince Alfred's Pass (between Knysna and Uniondale). The Montagu and Prince Alfred's Passes are untarred, so please check with us (or our local tourist office) before you tackle them in rainy weather.
But once you're past the passes, you're presented with a rolling plain of farmlands, winelands, nature reserves, and historic towns and villages.
And lots - and lots! - of ostriches.
Here are some of our favourite places to visit in the Klein Karoo:
The Ostrich Capital of the World, and the regional capital of the Klein Karoo. Oudtshoorn's about 120 km from Knysna via the Outeniqua Pass.
- Cango Caves: book a walking tour of Africa's most spectacular show caves (and yes, booking is essential). The Cango Caves are situated about 30 km north of Oudtshoorn. Allow 2 hours driving time from Hotel Claude. But it’s worth it! www.cango-caves.co.za
- C.P. Nel Museum: collections of cars, music instruments, and local history - and the preserved interior of one of two Victorian-era synagogues which once served the Jewish community of the region. www.cpnelmuseum.co.za
- Buffelsdrift Game Lodge: day visitors facilities include game drives, meerkat safaris, and the restaurant and spa at this private reserve. www.buffelsdrift.com
- Safari Ostrich Show Farm: take a guided tour of this working farm that boasts one of the best-known manor houses in the Victorian Karoo architectural style. www.safariostrich.co.za
The port wine capital of South Africa - and also an adventure destination for birding, fishing, hiking, mountain biking and horse riding. About 2 hours drive from Hotel Claude.
- Alicatt Tours: Alistair's your man if you want someone to show you the unique biodiversity, rich cultural heritage, award winning wines, breath-taking scenery, and warm hospitality of the Klein Karoo. www.alicattours.co.za
- Guided Horse and Donkey Trails: Day trips with the Gamka River Safari Co. include 1 to 4-hour excursions for all levels of rider. The 4-hour Vineyard Trail includes wine tasting at Boplaas Estate. www.gamkariversafarico.com
Wineries in Calitzdrop
- Boplaas: ports, muscats, sparkling wines, rose wines, red wines, etc. Tasting room and restaurant open daily. www.boplaas.co.za
- Calitzdorp Cellar: white, red. and fortified wines. Tasting room open daily except Sundays. www.calitzdorpwine.co.za
- De Krans: This innovative estate is one of South Africa's leading producers of fortified dessert wines. Its full range - including Méthode Cap Classique, Chenin Blancs, Chardonnays, Moscatos, Rosés, Cabernet Sauvignons, and so on - has won more than 700 awards since 1980. Tasting room and deli-bistro open daily. www.dekrans.co.za
- For more info about the many vineyards of the Klein Karoo, please visit www.kleinkaroowines.co.za